Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day Holiday plus a snow cone stand review


So, the holiday was fantastic! We had a blast at my sister's house, eating the best bbq I've ever had in my entire life (sorry, Dad...) and watching the kids play with water balloons and water guns. Jason (finally) got the clothes line up and I got some of the basement cleaned, while Julie and Atticus were away doing other things, and I still managed to find time to make hamburger and french fry cupcakes to take to my inlaws. Seriously, best holiday EVER!

I've been to a bunch of parties lately! I don't know if it's just the fact that it's summer, or if I started enjoying parties so I started accepting invitations, but whatever the reason, I'm glad for it. It seems the Shrek party started something for me, because I've been having such a good time going to parties, that I'm thinking about throwing my own! On the day of the spring show!! There must be something really wrong with me, but I think it would be way easier to have a bbq at my house between the rehearsal and the show than to try to run around and find food to eat. I could seriously just prep everything the night before, which brings me to my new favorite thing. I LOVE trifle. I made a beautiful lemon raspberry trifle for Memorial Day, and it was so good, I've been eating it for breakfast every day since. I want to add trifle recipes to my repertoire of deliciousness....

And Finally, the snow cone stand review. Apparently this summer is forever to be known as Sno Cone summer, because my sister and I are addicted to sno cones. She started it!! (Regression complete...) Anyway, the Sno Cone stand by Rocket Park in Maplewood is the cheapest and the best (so far), and while it is mighty close to the Studio, I won't be going there for three whole months (more like 2, but really, who's counting??), so I'm trying out ones that are a little closer to home. (If you know of a good one, let me know...) Today we went to "Glaciers" in the General Grant Shopping Center. It was good, not Rocket Park good, but still good. The medium sno cones were $2.25 (if you didn't want cream...seriously why do people want cream on their sno cones?), and they had a variety of flavors. Lots and lots of flavors actually. The sour apple is neither sour nor apple-y, but still good for some reason, while the cream soda flavor is worth the trip. I was scared of the bubble gum flavor, but took a small taste of Joey's and it wasn't awful (I still wouldn't order it, personally, but it wasn't too strong and it didn't taste like toothpaste which is what I was afraid of...) and there was no line at 7 o'clock on a Wednesday night. All in all, it was pretty good, but I want to try the one with the rave reviews in the Kirkwood Farmer's Market next week. Also, while I was waiting for my sno cone (you have to spell it that way at Glacier's as well as Rocket Park, sorry), I started working on the math for buying my own. If Chrissy and I went in on a professional snow cone machine (the cheapest available), AND before we bought it we were both buying 3 snow cones twice a week at the average price of $2.25/ea, then the machine would pay for itself after just 9 weeks. I'm starting to wonder if this is an investment worth checking into.....

1 comment: