Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A day in the life of....

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be someone else? Today, I slept, read, wrote, and baked. My children cooked, cleaned, and did homework. They were good people ALL day long, and I had a beautiful day! It was exactly like being someone else! I've never had a day that went as smoothly as today. It might be because we stayed home almost ALL day long, which is turning into a rarity this month, but it could also be because everybody slept enough last night for the first time in....ever.



So, that's Joey up there helping to make an apricot jam snack cake. Which we ate, and then immediately all went "meh..." about. I think it could have been much, much better if it had been any other cake. It sounded good in the book, but it's too gingerbread-y for spring. We should have made the lemon cake, or lemon squares, or....

Immediately after those pictures were taken, Joey decided that a bowl of sour cream was the best lunch, and after he poured it, I told him he had to eat it. Then he DID! It was terribly hard to watch, but for some reason it was also incredibly fascinating at the same time. I got myself a plate of nachos and helped out a little, but mostly just watched him eating his condiment as a meal. Sometimes, I wonder if he's going to turn out alright....

I need some ideas on what to do with the kids, but particularly Joey, during the summer. I don't want to sign them up for a bunch of expensive stuff, but we do need some activities to keep us slightly less busy than the fall, but still busy. I climb the walls when I'm at home with just the children all day, and they climb out of the windows or onto the roof because they're so bored (and tired of me...) that they can't help themselves. I was thinking of free things, so if you've got any ideas, feel free to post them in the comments. I'm going to try to get some of my projects completed this summer, even though this plan has been in action for over a year now. I'm currently working on: curtains for the kitchen, a blanket for my mom, a counted cross stitch tote bag for Julie, a blanket for Mandy (I'm pretty sure that I've been making this for 3 years now), and kitchen towels. Whew...I feel tired just typing that all out! I wish that I could start something and just finish it, but it hasn't happened yet. I just keep starting new things, and coming up with new ideas, but never getting anywhere.

Speaking of which, I finally got my plants into the ground. I realize that it's almost June, but it's just been so very rainy this year. I don't think I care for the new monsoon season that's been added to the Saint Louis calendar of weather. I don't remember EVER having so much rain in my life. It could just be that I don't remember it, as I don't remember anything that I consider "unpleasant", but I'm not sure. It seems awfully wet this year....

Well, anyway, we're off to one of the last jazz classes of the dance season! The spring show is fast approaching...watch this spot for pictures!

1 comment:

  1. The Whitaker Jazz Festival is every Wednesday evening (for free) at the Botanical gardens. The children's garden is open for free from 5-7 then too. I usually take the kids with a picnic and leave around dark which is about when the music starts. We have a blast although I think we will only make it a couple of times this summer. :(

    ReplyDelete